Senior week 2013 started with seniors showing up in Slayter to grab that coveted cap and gown and to sit for their senior yearbook photo. By Tuesday evening, they were chatting with President and Mrs. Knobel in the Burton D. Morgan Center during the Knobels’ senior reception and likely remembering the same scene just four short years ago when they were welcomed by the president and his wife as first-year students.
They spent Wednesday checking items off their Denison bucket list: a cemetery tour with English professor Fred Porcheddu ’87; a trek up the bell tower; a quick photo with “Buzzy,” the Big Red buzzard; a swim in the new pool at the Trumbull Aquatics Center; hikes through the BioReserve and up Sugarloaf Hill; and a last dish of Whit’s (until their first visit back to Granville as alumni, of course).
They hung out in Slayter for concerts by a Scott Celani cover band and Papadosio, a nationally touring band that got its start in Athens, Ohio. By Thursday, they were watching the Columbus Clippers take on the Charlotte Knights at Huntington Park, and they wrapped up Senior Week with a brunch and a senior social hour with faculty, family, and friends in the Roost.
We’re hoping they got some rest in the midst of it all. After all, they had a pretty big life event to enjoy on Sunday.
The Class of 2013 graduated on Sunday. Here’s a look at where a few of them are going post-Commencement.
- Alice Curry, a philosophy major and environmental studies minor from Pittsburgh, will head back to her hometown to become a children’s zoo educator at the Pittsburgh Zoo.
- Anneka Buehler, a psychology major from Laguna Niguel, Calif., will be working with AmeriCorps NCCC and FEMA Corps.
- David Abbott, a biology major from Grand Blanc, Mich., will become a research scientist for the CDC lab with the New York State Department of Health.
- Vanessa Theus, a theatre major from Beloit, Wis., is off to the Big Apple to pursue her acting dreams.
- Lily Hutson, an economics major with a chemistry minor from Mequon, Wis., will take on a full-time job with Marsh USA, an insurance brokerage firm.
- Shane Richmond, an environmental studies major from Heath, Ohio, and Lia Crosby, an environmental studies major from Gahanna, Ohio, will be close by working as a co-coordinators of Project Main Street in Newark, Ohio.
- Natalie Olivo, a communication major form Pittsburgh, is off to NYU’s Summer Publishing Institute.
- Simon Carr, an econonics major from Centerville, Ohio, will be working for Deloitte Consulting.
- Jeffrey Maier, an environmental studies major from Middlebury, Vt., is awaiting his assignment from the Peace Corps.
- Kati Weis, a double major in communication and Spanish from Mobile, Ala., will become a multi-media news reporter and web producer for WJHG-Channel 7 in Panama City, Fla.
- Elizabeth Harbison, an educational studies major from Sewickley, Pa., will be an Americorps Fellow at the Phoenix Charter Academy.
- Tali Lekorenos, a studio art major with a political science minor from Concord, Mass., will become a merchandising manager for Chloe + Isabel.
- Ruelyn Garnett, a political science and international studies major from Indianapolis is off to Le Cordon Bleu Culinary Institute of Chicago.
- Annelise Thompson, a chemistry major and math minor from La Canada, Calif., will be working on a Fulbright research grant in Jena, Germany.
- Emma Sullivan, a English major from Scottsdale, Ariz., will become a marketing assistant for Bound Round, a company based in Sydney, Australia, that makes travel apps for children.
- Meghan Green, a biology major and Spanish minor from Pittsford, N.Y., will be conducting research in pediatric cardiology at the University of Florida before heading on to medical school.
- Emily Boccardi, a communication major from Pittsburgh, will intern with the Pittsburgh Penguins Foundation.
- Emmanuel “Manny” Horsford, an economics major from St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, will work as an associate adjuster for Amica Mutual Insurance.
- Nathaniel Forrester, a psychology major from Chagrin Falls, Ohio, will become a counselor and research assistant at the Cleveland Clinic.